Monday, May 27, 2013

DAY 4: A Thing or Two Learnt




      My day at Durban Girls' High school started at 7:30 am and ended at 2:00 pm. When I arrived, Mrs Hayes-Hill, the principle, lead me to her office and walked me through my schedule for the day (not literally you silly). She handed me a white shirt and black skirt, and from there I went to my first three classes: History, French, and Visual Arts and Design.
      During my first three classes I meet four black girls (Mosa, Abani, Saachi, and  Baijanti) my age that had the same schedule as me.  At lunch, we sat at a round table outside, and to save them from waiting in the crowded lunch line, I offered some of my Jewel of India food. They loved the food and said it was 10 times better than PB and J, a small carton of dairy milk, and fruit salad (that's not even organic). Yuck!
       After lunch, we had Math and English. By the end of the school day, the four girls were piled with homework in History, Math, and English. Since they had so much work to do (and I didn't), I volunteered to help them. We all went to Mosa's house and finished the work in no time.
      Since history's my favorite subject, here's a recapitulation of what I learned about Durban. Today, Durban is the busiest container port in Africa and a popular tourist destination. The city is also a gateway to the national parks and historical sites of the Zulu Kingdom and the Drakensberg. As a result of colonization by the British, Durban has the largest Asian community on the African continent, the largest Indian population outside of India, and several successful trading businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment